Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cigars, hot off the truck



Some people age their cigars in a humidor for months before smoking them, some age them for years, and a select few won't touch a cigar unless it was personally stocked by great-uncle Pemberton, sometime before he met an untimely death at Isandlwana. Me, I smoke 'em right off the truck.
Today, it was a box of Gran Habano No. 5 Corojo Cigars, and I had one of those Rothschilds lit before the UPS man was out of the driveway. Why not? After all, they're my cigars, bought and paid for. What's more, I have an entire box of the things and I can't see any reason why I can't enjoy one now, tonight, tomorrow, next month, whenever. If anything, and this is usually the case, the experience will remind me that a cigar left in the humidor for a few days is indeed superior to one that just came off the front porch, still, there's something fun about lighting up a delivery right away that makes up for what usually amounts to a slight dip in quality.
The only exception is when I buy a single, then it gets nestled in the humidor at the proper temperature and humidity for at least a week, especially if I plan to write about it. Anything else would be unfair.


Image: "Dying To Save The Queens Colours: An Episode in the Battle of Insandlwhana The Deaths Of Lieutenants Melville And Coghill 24th Regiment" Poster showing the Battle of Insandlwhana [Isandlwana], illustrated by A. Hoen & Co. for Wm. Cameron & Bro Tobacco Company, sometime after January, 1879 (Duke University Collection).

No comments: