Monday, March 18, 2013

All Roads Lead to Virginia

 

(Cake and Dottle) The first couple of tobaccos I ever smoked in a pipe were aromatics. I moved on quickly, because the great tin aroma never translated into the smoke for me.
Next stop was Latakia blends, where I happily stayed for a long time. I also explored Burleys, after a generous forum member sent me a big selection to sample.
As I was winding down figuring out how to finish my half completed cellar, I decided I'd better revisit straight Virginia tobaccos again, just to be sure I wasn't making a mistake in omitting them from my cellar. I took to Va's instantly and in a big way. I scrambled, building a cellar that was focused squarely on straight Va's, with enough Latakia and Burley to provide some variety. Good thing I had a last minute crisis of faith. Continued

Photo: Unidentified soldier of Laurel Brigade Virginia Cavalry Regiment with tobacco pouch (Library of Congress).

No comments: