Monday, January 3, 2011

Cuban Cigar Smokers in 1884



(National Cigar History Museum) ... “You Americans smoke too much when you come here,” said Don Figuerado to me. “You seem to be always lighting a fresh cigar.”
“For Heaven’s sake!” I replied, “You smoke a lot more than any American.”
“Oh, I smoke very little,” he rejoined, “only four or five good cigars a day. One after my coffee, one after my breakfast, one after my dinner and one or two at night.”
“And cigarettes?”
“Oh, very few. Say two packs a day.” Continued

Pictured: Mary & Lizzie Segars, circa 1859 (Library of Congress)

2 comments:

Online Cigars said...

Thanks for sharing your blog,These cigars are rolled from tobacco leaves found throughout the country of Cuba.Cuban cigar rollers are claimed by cigar experts to be the most skilled rollers in the world.

Anonymous said...

Although smoking is unhealthy it is also part of Western culture, like it or not. It seems to me that depictions of evil criminals smoking isn't the problem here (actually it looks kind of normal), but when a sexy woman is holding a cigarette, then that movie should be boycotted by teens.

Davidoff Cigars Connoisseur