Sunday, September 5, 2010

Amish Cigars Part 3: A Pennsylvania Puro



The Amish Pennsylvanian #1 cigar is a step up from the cheaper "Amish" models I tried last time, being "all tobacco." This one surprised me, I expected a cigar made of all Pennsylvania tobacco to be quite strong, and perhaps a little pungent. I waited for the first cool night of the season to try it out, in case I needed to open some windows. But in fact, it was mild in strength and smelled just as good as any cigar does in a room. It was full of flavor, that great rustic leathery taste that makes Pennsylvania tobacco worth smoking. My sample was well constructed and machine made, with one of those little holes in the cap, providing an ample draw. The cigar measures 45 x 6 and is, I assume, made with short filler. They cost $109.00 for a box of fifty at the only website I know that sells them. I found this cigar to be superior to the cheaper Amish cigars, and more to my liking than the semi-Amish "Handmade President's Private Stock" cigars, sold on the same site.

2019 UPDATE: The only people offering an Amish style cigar anymore is F.X. Smith, an outfit that has been making them in Pennsylvania since the War Between the States. You can buy from them here

Top Photo: Mennonite farmer putting tobacco into his barn, near Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 1941 (Marion Post Wolcott/FSA/Library of Congress).
 

No comments: