Saturday, August 14, 2010

Casa Magna Colorado Robusto Cigar


I get a sampling of cigars every month from a cigar of the month club deal, which is a lot of fun because I never know what's coming and never look into them until I've finished the smoke. So I didn't know that the Casa Magna Colorado is a somewhat famous cigar. It's known for being a little hard to find and for being named Cigar Aficionado's 2008 cigar of the year.
Retailer Cigars Direct says, "The Casa Magna represents the ultimate collaboration between two cigar legends, Manuel Quesada of the Fonseca enterprise and Nestor Plasencia. Nestor's farms produced the Nicaraguan puro leaves used in the construction of this very new cigar introduced to the world in 2008. The Nicaraguan filler is embraced by a very special Cuban-seeded Colorado Ligero wrapper also grown in Nicaragua. This deluxe oily wrapper augments the complexity of the filler ... "
But I didn't know any of this when I smoked it. I found the cigar to start out a little strong, but not for long, settling down into a good combination of strength and flavor. After finishing it off, I thought, "under $3.00 a piece, this is a very good cigar, over that, it's o.k.." Turns out, they cost more than three dollars.
So, the experts and I disagree, and that's fine by me. I say it's o.k., others say it's great. I'll leave it to you to decide. It seems to me that anything that ranges in opinion from o.k. to great is a pretty safe bet.


Update: I don't know if it's me or the cigar, but resampling this cigar a year later, I found it to better than "o.k.," in fact, I'd say it's pretty darn good.

No comments: