Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cuban Crafters Cigar Sampler: Part 2



(Continued from Part 1) I was a little wary of buying a sampler from a single manufacturer, fearing they would all taste the same, but my fears were unfounded, there's plenty of variety here. My next selection was a Miami Cigars Medina 1959 Edition, "made at the Cuban Crafters Miami cigar factory by one of the world's most talented Cuban cigar rollers. 1959 Miami Edition Corona Gorda cigars have that special and elegant taste that only pre-1959 Cuban cigars had." Which may or may not be true, I can't say, having been born after 1959. I can say with authority that this is a tasty cigar, nutty, light, mild, & very well constructed. The sample I received was huge, but I managed to smoke it right down to the nub, enjoying every puff.


Then came the Cuban Crafters Cabinet Selection. My first reaction was "now this is a cigar." And it is a cigar: box pressed, nice & strong with a good full flavor, and complete with a pigtail, I'll be buying more of these.

Unfortunately the Cuban Crafters Cameroon was not to my liking at all. I can't say anything bad about the construction or the draw, etc., I just didn't like the taste. Moving on ...

The Cubano Claro is an example of why it can be good to purchase the occasional sampler as it makes me try things I wouldn't normally try. I tend to shy away from cigars with light colored wrappers, but the Cubano Claro has me rethinking the whole notion. It was a nice, light flavored (but powerful), smoke that reminded me of drinking a really great cup of tea. I have more on order.

Last on the list was a Don Kiki Red Label, the middling strength cigar in the Don Kiki lineup, it had a nice earthy taste and would make a good all-day cigar. The Red, Green, and Brown Don Kiki labels show a surprising amount of variety between them. I would be hard pressed to declare one of them as best, though the Brown Label Figurados have become my favorite after-dinner smoke.

I also revisited the Beck, and La Carolina cigars, and I still wasn't impressed with the Beck, but the La Carolina has risen a bit in my estimation. All in all, this was a fine sampler and a very enjoyable experience. Recommendation: Would I buy more cigars from this company? I already have more on order. Highly recommended.

Photos: Cuban Crafters

No comments: