Friday, January 8, 2010

Two More Cigars from Avanti


Awhile back, I reviewed Avanti cigars - a dry cured* Toscano-style cheroot, flavored with anisette - and pronounced them good. But anisette can hide a lot of sins and I wondered what an unflavored Avanti brand cigar would taste like. I purchased a pack of De Nobili and a pack of Parodi cigars, both made by Avanti, from my local tobacco shop.

The De Nobili's I purchased were in the "economy pack" and are a little smaller than the Avanti brand. I lit one up and found a rich flavorful smoke, a little sweet at first, but not cloying. It smoked well down to the end, lasting about a half hour - a good commuter smoke.

The Parodi "Ammezzati" were even smaller than the De Nobili's. The little Amezzati's tasted very much like a conventional cigar, despite the dry curing. Nothing special, but nothing to complain about either - it is Avanti's best selling cigar. I suspect that those who don't like De Nobili's will like Parodi's and vice versa.
Both cigars are all tobacco with a natural wrapper. They are also widely available in drugstores, etc. and are a cut above the usual competition. Though Italian in origin, these cigars are made in the U.S.A. and have been since the 1920's. Recommendation: Recommended, try them both.

*Don't think you got a bad box when you see dry cigars in there, they're supposed to be that way: dry cured means dry. For more on Avanti see Smoke America: A TASTE OF THE OLD COUNTRY

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's all I smoke

falmanac said...

I'm rather fond of them myself. - Firecured