Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tobacco too Soapy? Don't Throw it Out



There are two companies in England, Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth, that produce some of the world's best tobacco products, and have been doing so for over two centuries. Several of these companies' blends, mostly the aromatic varieties, have a distinct flavor. Some people love it and refer to it as the "Lakeland essence." Some people don't like it and call it "soapy." I say it's soapy, but I don't mind it in small doses. Awhile back, I bought a tin of Samuel Gawith "Chocolate Flake," and I liked it so much that I ordered a pound of the stuff. In bulk, it tasted much too soapy to me. I stuck it in a bail-top jar and waited. After several months, the soapiness settled down and the tobacco tasted fine. Here is a scientific chart of my findings:

1 Month: Yuck!
2 Months: Eww!
3 Months: Meh.
4 Months: Mmm!

And there you have it, conclusive proof that soapy tobaccos can be tamed.*



*If you happen to like soapy tobaccos, check this out: "Soap your own! The disappearance of many famous British aromatics - so-called soapies - is a sorry fact. But you can emulate these greats at home, and even 'improve' on them." More


Photos: Samuel Gawith, Library of Congress, Gawith Hoggarth.

No comments: