Friday, December 25, 2009

All I want for Christmas is a Dr. Grabow


Times are tough all over and it isn't any different at our house, but this too shall pass. We'll make the best of it. For the economically challenged pipe smoker, I have some good news: pipes all do the same thing and do it well, more or less. Sure, it's fun to get caught up in building a great pipe collection or merely aspiring to owning that one pricey pipe, that always seems just a little out of reach. But in the meantime, while you're waiting for your ship to come in, a good smoke may help pass the time. Could I interest you in an inexpensive smoking accessory?
How about a Dr. Grabow? Pronounced "gray-bo," they range in cost from $25 to $30 dollars and there's a whole slew of varieties. My first Dr. Grabow was a Duke, compact and straight, it took a lot of punishment from this beginner and still puffs like a champ. I roasted the finish off in no time flat, puffing away like opening day at Steam Town, and since rotation was a foreign concept to me, I soured it up good. But it cleaned up o.k., and I bought a few more, over time. Little Grabows, big Grabows, bent and straight. My favorite has been the Omega, a bent model with a military push-bit type stem - great for quick breakdowns and hot smokers, like myself. I've toyed with the idea of filling my pipe rack with Omegas and being done with it. Dr. Grabows take a filter, which is a nice option, and if you don't like them, just leave 'em out. There are models that I don't particularly care for, but it's not because they don't smoke well, they all smoke well.
Of course, no article on smoking economics would be complete without a nod to the Missouri Meerschaum Company's line of corn cob pipes. I'm partial to the "legend," which smokes well and has a pleasing look to it. It too takes an optional filter. The Legend will set you back seven dollars and some change. There isn't a more democratic pipe on this earth.
There are plenty of other inexpensive pipes out there as well, many have been around for some time: Medico, Yello-Bole, etc. If you're feeling adventurous, most tobacco shops usually have a basketful of "no-name pipes," just waiting for a good home.
After your ship comes in, and you can shell out some big money for your pipes, you may be surprised at how many of the "cheapies" stay in your rotation.

Photo: by Harold Tucker Webster (Library of Congress).

No comments: